Choose Salem Hospital for 3D mammography.
Tomosynthesis mammography, also known as 3D mammography, is a leading-edge technology to improve detection and treatment of breast cancer. Pioneered by breast imaging specialists at Massachusetts General Hospital, 3D mammography offers a clearer and more accurate view of the breast and potential abnormalities that 2D imaging may not find. Women on Boston’s North Shore can receive a 3D mammography screening at the Outpatient Services Center, the Mass General/North Shore Center for Outpatient Care, and at Salem Hospital.
The advantages of 3D mammography
- Detects small breast cancers earlier, especially cancers that may be hidden in a 2D mammography.
- Achieves greater accuracy in identifying the size, shape and location of abnormalities.
- Conducts fewer unnecessary biopsies and tests.
- Improves the likelihood of detecting multiple breast tumors, which occur in 15% of breast cancer patients.
What is 3D mammography?
3D mammography is the latest breakthrough in breast imaging. Whereas conventional 2D mammography relies on a single, flattened image of the breast, digital breast tomosynthesis takes images from multiple angles and combines them to create a 3D image of the entire breast.
By helping doctors more effectively pinpoint the size, shape and location of abnormalities in the breast, 3D mammography improves detection, results in fewer callbacks and provides patients with greater peace of mind about their health.
The Breast Health Center Collaborative Program
The Breast Health Center is a collaborative, multidisciplinary program that offers North Shore patients the highest caliber of care in breast health. Patients receive personal, compassionate and confidential care individually designed to meet her needs. Our team includes breast cancer surgeons, radiologists, imaging technologists and nurses who are all specialized in breast health.
We are dedicated to helping women stay one step ahead of breast cancer and that is why we offer advanced procedures like 3D mammography in addition to regular screenings.
Additional diagnostic and testing procedures
In addition to 3D mammography, our diagnostic and testing procedures include:
- Diagnostic breast ultrasound
- Breast MRI services
- Fine needle aspiration biopsy
- Ultrasound-guided cyst aspiration
- Ultrasound-guided breast core biopsy
- Stereotactic core breast biopsy
- Needle localization procedures
- MRI-guided core biopsy